On October 11th 2015, only ten short days ago, I married my best friend.
There are a lot of things I love about my husband.
He’s incredibly kind.
He keeps our home clean.
He loves me for exactly who I am.
And he encourages me to stick to pursue what I love.
Today, we’re in Miami on our honeymoon.
One thing people don’t know about us is that some of the more intimate time we get to spend together is when I read aloud to Ryan.
At home, on the couch in our living room, he’ll have his head on my lap as my legs are on the hassock and I’ll read off poems or short stories as he listens intently.
Because we’re on our honeymoon, I had to bring a big stack of books to read. Some of them I’ve been reading to myself, but many of them I’ve read aloud to Ryan on the beach.
If you’re a writer, you need to be reading. It’s as simple as that.
And my love of transparency knows no bounds. So I am sharing with you the 16 books I brought with me on my honeymoon.
Why so many?
I’m a fussy reader. While I always love memoir, one day, I won’t want to read memoir, and I’ll want to read a thriller, and if all I have is memoir, I won’t end up reading anything.
And that’s just lame.
Plus, we’re heading to the beach just about every day to soak up the sun and get our #booklife on, so I needed to bring a big chunk of them.
Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? What did you learn from them?What are you reading right now?
Comment below! I’d love to hear what’s being read in the world.
Memoir/ Biography/ Autobiography
1. Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham (Humor)
2. Julie & Julia by Julie Powell (Food & Wine)
3. Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (LGBT, Literary)
4. Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (History & Culture)
5. This Boy’s Life by Tobias Wolff (Literary)
6. Bossypants by Tina Fey (Humor)
7. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (Self-Help)
8. If I Stay by Gayle Forman (Literary)
9. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (Humor, Death, Literary)
10. One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper (Humor)
11. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (Literary, Suspence)
12. The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Literary)
13. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty (Literary)
14. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Literary, Mythology, Fantasy)
15. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Thriller)
16. Mattaponi Queen by Belle Boggs (Literary)